Cabbage Steaks. Fiery Ideas
Hot dogs? Who needs ’em? Rewrite the grilling rules and wow friends and taste buds alike. Introducing… your new flames
FIRE IT UP! CABBAGE
You’ve heard of veggie burgers. Meet the veggie cabbage steak! The hearty texture of this cruciferous veg, combined with Worcestershire sauce’s umami notes and charring from the grill, tempts your palate in the same way as a filet mignon. Plus, cabbage is packed with 36 strains of anthocyanins, compounds that may slash cancer risk and improve heart health.
- ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbsp packed brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 large red cabbage
- 2 lemon wedges
- ¼ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- / Whisk together Worcestershire sauce, sugar, vinegar, rosemary, and garlic in a large baking dish.
- / Slicing through the root, cut two 1½-inch-thick slabs of cabbage (reserve ends for another use). Place in marinade and turn to coat. Marinate up to 1 hour at room temperature or refrigerate overnight, flipping occasionally.
- / Heat grill to medium-high and brush and oil the grates. Remove cabbage from marinade, reserving excess, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Grill cabbage until char marks form, about 8 minutes per side.
- / In a small pan, warm remaining marinade. Drizzle over cabbage with a fresh squeeze of lemon juice and sprinkle with parsley.
MAKES 4 SERVINGS
Per serving: 179 cal, 1 g fat (0 g sat), 44 g carbs, 29 g sugar, 658 mg sodium, 7 g fiber, 5 g protein.