New York, I love you
These vagabond shoes,
are longing to stray
Right through the very heart of it-
New York, New York
Frank Sinatra ©
The Big Apple is one of the biggest cities in the whole world. Some people write songs and make films to express their warm feelings about New York and some of them have very contradictory feelings to this adorable famous town. Anyway, no one can stay cold and indifferent to New York. If you have never visited this city before but it’s interesting for you to know some exciting facts about The Big Apple, then welcome aboard! We can easily travel thousands of kilometers across the ocean and feel this incredible atmosphere.
- Central Park is in the center of Manhattan Island. CP was the first public landscape park in the United States. Central Park is not only a beautiful territory. This is the place of rest for million of people, for New Yorkers and tourists. According to statistics, more than 30 million people visit Central Park every year.
- The island of Manhattan, which is the historic center of New York, was purchased from the American Indians in 1626, the Dutch colonist Peter Minute, at a price of about 60 guilders, which is about 1,000 US dollars (in modern currency). Nowadays, Manhattan is the most prestigious area of New York. Manhattan is the economic and cultural center of the United States. For example, you can find here two of the world’s largest exchanges – the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) and NASDAQ (NASDAQ).
- Do you know how many Starbucks are in New York? They are almost at every corner. New Yorkers are real coffee makers. They consume coffee 7 times more than any other American. This fact was used by the creators of the popular TV serial “Friends.” The main symbol of the show was the coffee house Central Park, where the main characters every day were going to have a drink espresso and discuss the latest news.
- The Statue of Liberty is the most famous symbol of the New York City. The height of the monument is 46.05 m (from the base to the tip of the torch). This powerful lady arrived on the ship as a gift from the French in the summer of 1885. Originally, the statue was meant for Egypt, and it was supposed to look like a Muslim woman in traditional Islamic clothes. To be in the crown of Freedom, you need to climb 354 steps.
- If you are the fan of a good music, you will be interested to know about the legendary video of Michael Jackson «BAD». The clip of the King of Pop Michael Jackson was filmed by the talented director Martin Scorsese (Martin Scorsese) in the New York metro. In the 18-minute video of 1987, you can see the Hoyt Street-Skermerhorn Street station in Brooklyn (Hoyt-Schermerhorn Streets, lines A, C, and G). You can always find curious Michael fans who take a lot of photos it this place.