Veggie Pizza with Beetroot
Mushroom and aubergine beetroot-base pizza prep 20 min + rising cook 20 min serve 4 (makes 2 pizzas) vegetarian gluten free dairy free.
For the base:
- 250g raw beetroot, finely grated
- 350g spelt flour, plus extra for rolling and dusting
- 1 x 7g sachet dried yeast ½tsp sugar
- 1tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra to grease
- For the salsa
- 150g passata
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1tsp dried oregano Pinch chili flakes
- 150g button mushrooms, sliced
- 200g cherry tomatoes halved
- 2 baby aubergines (or ½ small aubergine), thinly sliced
- 40g pitted kalamata olives, drained
- 100g grated reduced-fat mozzarella or a reduced-fat cheese blend (such as Low Low)
- 60g baby rocket, to serve
- Working over the sink, squeeze almost all the excess moisture from the beetroot with your hands (wear rubber gloves to prevent staining). Put the flour in a mixing bowl and make a well in the center. Add the yeast and sugar to the well, then pour in 250ml warm water and the 1tbsp olive oil and mix everything together gently with a table knife. Add the beetroot and continue to mix until the dough comes together. Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface, then knead for 3–4 min until smooth.
- Divide the dough in two, then roll out each piece into a thin 30–35cm circle. Grease 2 large baking sheets with oil and dust liberally with flour. Carefully put a pizza base on each sheet, then set aside in a warm place for about 30 min or until puffed up and doubled in thickness. Heat the oven to 220°C/fan 200°C/gas 7.
- Combine the passata, garlic, oregano and chili in a bowl, then spread equally over the risen pizza bases.
- Top with the mushrooms, tomatoes (cut side up), aubergines and olives, then scatter over the cheese. Bake the pizzas for 18–22 min until golden. 5 Remove from the oven and leave on the baking sheets for 5 min before slicing. Scatter with the rocket to serve.